Back to map

Read more about our main attractions, features, activities, facilities and spaces around our site.

Admiral’s House

The Webb room in Admiral's House © thedpc.com A beautiful wood panelled entrance © thedpc.com

Admiral’s House is located in the northeastern corner of the King Charles Court. The court was commissioned by Charles II as his new royal palace in 1660. It was designed by John Webb but was left incomplete due to a lack of funds in 1672.

It was later integrated in 1696 into the larger design of the Royal Hospital for Seamen by Sir Christopher Wren, and became the residence for the Governor of the Hospital, who was invariably a retired Admiral.  

In 1869 the hospital closed and four years later the Royal Navy moved to Greenwich from Portsmouth. Admiral’s House then became the Admiral President’s Residence and was occupied by the most senior figure on site. 

Today the rest of the King Charles Court is home to Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music Dance and Dance. Admiral’s House can be hired as a private function space and can be viewed on private guided tours.

Visit venue hire on how to hire Admiral’s House for your event.