June 2012

The wonderful Dolphin Fountain was designed by Philip Hardwick in 1850 as part of his elegant landscaping programme which transformed the grounds of the Royal Hospital for Seamen.

Prior to this, the area surrounding the grand buildings was crammed with wash houses, drying yards and other out buildings. The dolphins, with their rather fearsome teeth, continue the naval theme of many of the decorations around the site, most notably on the gates and lamps.

Over the summer of 2012, the clay tile and rendered main bowl with lead-lined inners to the fountains was in urgent need of repair, as it was fractured and falling outwards. To counteract this, we inserted a number of metal bands around the outer rim of the fountain bowl. The rendered finish was cleaned and the lead dressing repaired.

Find out more

Download a map of the ORNC >